Top 15 Ways You Can Help Your Lawyer Help You
15. Don’t think your legal problems can be resolved overnight.
14. Be realistic about the amount of damages you can expect to recover – or forfeit.
13. Do not discuss your legal problems with anyone other than your lawyer.
12. Treat your legal concerns seriously, because they are.
11. Keep in touch with your lawyer, and respond promptly to all phone calls, correspondence and e-mails.
10. At the beginning of representation, discuss whether a case budget can be established. Know your lawyer’s fee structure. Get updates as to running costs.
9. Be a “good scout;” be prepared. Always furnish the information and documents your lawyer requests.
8. Never threaten anyone with: “You’ll hear from my lawyer!”
7. Never withhold information from your lawyer. Let the lawyer decide what’s important or irrelevant.
6. Do not bring young children to your lawyer’s office if they will be unattended. Your lawyer needs your undivided attention, and neither she/he nor his/her staff needs distractions.
5. Don’t delay. Contact your attorney as soon as you think you might have a legal problem.
4. Listen to – and follow – your lawyer’s advice. That’s mostly what you’re paying him/her for.
3. Don’t sign anything your lawyer hasn’t read.
2. Do not lie to your lawyer and DO NOT LIE UNDER OATH.
1. Trust him or her. If you can’t trust your lawyer, it’s time to get another one.