Barney M. Holtzman is a Partner who practices in the firm’s labor & employment law and commercial litigation sections, with an emphasis on complex transactions and ERISA/employee benefits litigation. He has been consistently recognized as one of the premier attorneys in employment law and commercial litigation by Best Lawyers in America, Southwest Super Lawyers and Tucson Lifestyle Magazine in his twenty plus years of practice.
Prior to joining Mesch Clark Rothschild, Barney was managing partner of an Am Law 200 law firm Tucson office, in-house counsel for one of the largest privately held mortgage lenders and clerked with the Honorable Thomas A. Zlaket, Chief Justice of the Arizona Supreme Court. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law.
His employment practice includes counseling management on preventative employment practices and employee discipline. He represents employers against claims alleging employment discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, retaliation and other employment-related claims before courts and governmental agencies, such as the EEOC, the Department of Labor, the National Labor Relations Board and the Arizona Civil Rights Division. Barney also counsels clients on a wide range of employment issues that arise during the hiring process, the management of a workforce and termination, layoff or reductions in force.
As a commercial litigator, Barney has represented Fortune 500 companies and small family businesses in a wide array of industries, including bio-tech, mining, optics, insurance, healthcare and technology. He also has litigated cases involving all aspects of mortgage lending, from formation through foreclosure, and professional negligence cases arising from real estate transactions.
When not practicing law, Barney has taken on community leadership positions with the Tucson Jewish Community Center and Ben’s Bells among others, is a dedicated husband and father to three daughters and an avid college basketball fan.
- State Bar of Arizona
- S. District Court, District of Arizona
- S. District Court, District of Colorado
- S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law
Order of the Coif
Writer, Arizona Law Review, 1994-1995
Clerkship, Chief Justice Thomas A. Zlaket, Arizona Supreme Court
B.A., Duke University
- Member, Arizona Bar Association
- Member, Pima County Bar Association
- Member, Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Member, School Council, University High School
- Former Chair, Board of Directors, Tucson Jewish Community Center
- Formerly Board of Directors, Ben’s Bells Project
- Adjunct Professor, Employment Discrimination Law, University of Arizona College of Law
- Former Chair, Labor and Employment Section Continuing Legal Education Committee, State Bar of Arizona
- Former Chair, Executive Counsel, Labor and Employment Section, State Bar of Arizona
Activities and Honors
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2017-2019
- Best Lawyers in America®, Employment Law – Management, Litigation – ERISA, Litigation – Labor and Employment,
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, 2014-2018
- Best Lawyers®, Lawyer of the Year, Employment Law Management, 2015
- Ranking Arizona: The Best of Arizona Business – Voted as one of Arizona’s top attorneys in Commercial Litigation as well as Labor and Employment, 2009
- Mentor of the Year, Tucson Business Edge 40 Under 40, 2007
- Recipient, Gary I. Sarver Young Leadership Award, 2002-2003
- Top Tucson Lawyers, Tucson Lifestyle Magazine, Recognized as one of Tucson’s Top Lawyers in Employment Law Management, Litigation-ERISA, Litigation-Labor & Employment
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell