- Practice Areas, Admissions & Education
- Organizations & Community
Richard Davis is a shareholder in the Litigation Section at Mesch Clark Rothschild. His practice areas include healthcare and cases that involve products liability, condemnation matters and medical malpractice. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, an elite trial organization in the United States.
Richard joined the Air Force after high school and was stationed in Okinawa and at Davis Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson. He went on to receive his undergraduate degree from the University of Arizona and his J.D. from the University of Arizona College of Law. He earned a fellowship from the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation to attend law school.
As a college student, Richard developed the New Start Program, a scholarship program for minorities. He founded the University of Arizona Zeta Theta Chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha, the oldest African American fraternal organization, and he was the first President of the Black Student Union.
He works with Alpha Phi Alpha programs and projects, including the Home Away from Home program, which provides services to students who are new to Arizona; the Go to High School, Go to College program; and the Awards program which honors African American male seniors who have excelled throughout their high school careers.
After practicing law for only a year and a half, Richard became the lead counsel defending the City of Tucson in a class action law suit. It was the first class action of its kind, pitting aggressive water against defective copper piping. Since then, Richard has tried over 400 cases, representing both public and private entities, including hospitals and municipalities.
- Civil Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Supreme Court, State of Arizona
- S. District Court, District of Arizona
- Ninth District Court of Appeals
- Tucson Airport Authority (2005 – present)
- Mesch Clark Rothschild (1989 – Present)
- Chandler, Tullar, Udall & Redhair (1972 – 1989)
- Judge ProTem – Pima County, Arizona Superior Court (1981 – present)
- Commission on the Certification of Court Reporters
- Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference (1983 – 1987)
- Committee on Character and Fitness, State Bar of Arizona (1975 – 1980)
- American Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Commission on Minorities in the Judicial System
- Selection Committee of Federal Magistrates
Bar and Legal Associations:
- State Bar of Arizona
- Pima County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- University of Arizona Black Law Students Association
- American Arbitration Association
- The Defense Research Institute
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Attorneys
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American College of Barristers, Senior Counsel
- Father of the Year, 2002
- NAACP (Life Member, Outstanding Citizens’ Award, October 1999)
- Tucson Urban League (Board of Directors 1975 – Present; Board Chairman 1979 – 1980; Corresponding Secretary 1999 – Present)
- American Red Cross (Board of Directors 1980 – 1982)
- YMCA (Board of Directors 1985 – 1987)
- Pima County Victim-Witness Compensation Claims (Board 1987 – 1989)
- Southern Arizona Legal Aid Society, Board of Directors
- Alumni Association of the University of Arizona, Board of Directors
- Arizona Civil Rights Advisory Board (appointment by Governor Bruce Babbitt)
- State of Arizona Athletic Commission (appointment by Governor Bruce Babbitt)
- University of Arizona (Selection Committee, President of the U of A; Selection Committee, Attorney for the University; Search Committee, Police Chief for the University; Advisor to the Assistant Athletic Director
- University of Arizona College of Law, Lecturer
- Governor’s Task Force on Medical Malpractice (appointment by Governor Rose Mofford)
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Sigma Pi Phi